Who would it be? - Island Teacher

Who would it be?

I've seen the photo below floating around on Facebook the past few days, and it prompted me to change it up a bit and blog about the teacher I would choose. You know the one I'm talking about? The one who inspired you when you were in school or who really believed in you when you weren't sure you believed in yourself? Or maybe it's a past or current teacher/co-worker that you really admire? 




I've had some amazing teachers as a student and awesome co-workers as a teacher, but there is one teacher who fits into both categories. My 11th grade British Lit teacher was Mr. Argroves. He taught both English and German classes. He had been teaching for many years and had quite the reputation for being extremely tough. Everyone feared his red pen! Even though you knew your GPA was likely to take a hit in his class, students could not WAIT to get there. His wit mixed with the right amount of sarcasm inspired students to press on even while having a love/hate relationship with him. He demanded the best his students could give and refused to accept mediocrity. He had a nickname for every single student. I was always "Auntie Em" in his class. 

10 years after I walked out of his class as a student, I walked back in as a Spanish teacher with him as my department head. I had been teaching for about 5 years at the time, but had recently moved back to a town close to where I grew up and was staying at home with my baby daughter. I heard of a long-term sub position available at my former high school. I was going a bit stir crazy at home, so I decided to commit to the 6 month job. His first words were "Great to have you back Auntie!". He hadn't changed a bit. Throughout the rest of that year he remained an amazing example of a teacher/leader as he continued to encourage and inspire me everyday...this time as his colleague. 

Two years ago, Mr. Argroves passed away very unexpectedly. He was due to retire at the end of that school year. His funeral was held in the high school football stadium and it was packed. Former students, teacher, and administrators told endless stories of how this man had affected them. He truly left a legacy!

So I would choose to chat with Mr. Argroves. He would tell jokes about Shakespeare and probably insult me in some way, but he would also offer amazing insight and advice about what it truly means to be a teacher! 

If you could chat with any teacher, who would it be? 

No comments

Back to Top